Friday 12 June 2009

Idea 1 - Date for One

Like I said, I am currently musing on a couple of ideas for my final project for next year of university. The following one seems more like the stuff of animation festivals and what not.

This concept is called 'Date for One' (or possibly 'Valentine for One') which is basically a combination of your typical 'hopeless romantic' situations with the concept of imaginary friends.

The main character (big white guy, pictured in earlier post), who I have yet to name properly so we'll just call him Bob for now, who is going on a date... with himself. Unlike most single people who just walk around at night, sitting at a table for one and wallowing in his own self pity (ie. me), Bob goes about his 'date' like he is actually dating someone, despite the lack of physical presence. This includes activities such as buying two cinema tickets instead of one, pouring wine into a glass that isn't there and, erm, bedroom activities involving squeezing certain parts of the air. How would it end? That would be spoiling.

This is a little idea that I've had for a bit over a year now. I came up with it when it came to our first Stop Motion module, before everyone decided to be generic and do Dracula.
Like most popular student films of the norm, this would be without dialogue, except for voices coming from radios, TVs and a certain film Bob goes to see with his 'partner'.

(This is an injoke of this game btw)

As for animating the little devil, there are several ways of approaching it, due to the character's simple design (though I've yet to determine if he should be clothed or just naked all the time, although I particularly wanna see him in a pair of boxers).
*2D/Flash - Which is my main forté, though this is, how my tutor would put it, sticking with my comfort zone, so I'd possibly need to break out of this zone, or at the least, do it in a novel way. Thinking about it, I've always wondered what programs all the regular cartoon people do when doing the classic type cartoons (ie. your typical rough -> line -> colour -> screen).
*Stop Motion - This would be an ideal way of presenting it, given the nature of the characters. The main issue I have with it however is that I'm, obvious to anyone's who's seen me in a stop-motion workshop, very bad when it comes to building stuff for stop-motion, particularly when it comes to things like wires (sensitive pinkies you see =( ), but that's probably one of things I'll have to suck up.
*CGI - In leau of Stop Motion, CGI is also possible, and would probably be a bit easier to model (give or take learning how to rig bones properly (example of fail here)). The main problem is, judging by the majority of student films I've seen using CG, unless I can texture it right and find a good method for animating in twos, it wouldn't give as epic a feel as the other formats.

So yeah, I'm mostly hovering on this idea at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment